“Ho ho ho ho, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!” As this holiday season approaches, many of us are preparing for big celebrations and parties. Food, snacks, wine, beverages… there is no better time of the year to fill yourself to your heart’s desire!
However, if you are a health-conscious type of person, then this article will reveal some tips for staying healthy this holiday season (while everyone else around you gains 5 pounds!).
1. Eat Snacks Moderately – Let’s face it, snacks are abundant during the holidays seasons (as if they aren’t already throughout the year). If you take a seat within an arm’s reach of the snack table, you’re going to have a tough time keeping yourself from unconsciously grabbing handfuls of party mix, candies, and the like and picking at them all day.
2. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise! – There is no better thing to do during this festive season than to exercise! If the weather permits it, go out and take a quick walk around the house or block. If your celebration is taking place in a colder climate, you’ll be more inspired to quicken your pace and burn a few extra calories in the process. If the weather is bad, do 10-20 squats, stretches, or other brief exercise each time you go to the restroom.
3. Eat Healthy Foods – Take an extra scoop of vegetables and fruit when filling your plate, and by the time you finish, you won’t have room for the other foods which are higher in calories and more likely to cause you to gain weight. Also, avoid those fatty and fried foods (they taste good, but you know they aren’t healthy!)
4. Drink A Lot of Water Throughout The Day – Water helps your body stay fit. Drink a fair amount of water or other unsweetened beverage before each meal, as well as during and between them. The liquid in your stomach will help trick your mind into not feeling as hungry, which reduces the tendency to gorge yourself on potentially fattening foods.
5. Eat in Smaller Portions – Instead of eating platefuls of food, try eating smaller portions throughout the day. No doubt, everything at the table looks good, and it’s all you can do to keep from filling your plate 2-3 times so that you can sample everything.
Keeping healthy during this holiday season is simply making sure you follow healthy habits just like anytime of the year. However, don’t fret it if you end up gaining a few pounds during the holidays. After all, the holiday season is only one of the few times of the year where you can truly enjoy yourself!
All of us at Advantage Insurance Services would like to wish you and yours a very happy and safe holiday season.
An ounce of prevention is certainly better than a pound of cure. Here are seven tips on how to live a long and healthy life. In addition, the same life style that helps you to avoid illness also helps you to lose weight. Here are a few ideas on how to enhance your life and possibly live longer.
1. Get Enough Exercise
In the past people had to use their physical bodies in the course of their normal work. But today someone may get up, go to work in a car, then sit down, get up to go home in the car and when arriving at home, sit down again for the rest of the day. In such a life there is no physical labor. This physical inactivity is one of the main reasons for a host of diseases. Sport, running. walking and other things must be added to our life if our normal work does not require us to exert ourselves physically.
2. Go to sleep when you feel sleepy
This may sound simple, but many people stay up late even when their body is telling them that it is time to sleep. Yoga doctors also say that it is better to sleep in the night and be active during the day. However, people such as students will take coffee and stimulants to study late into the night. Others develop the habit of remaining active at night and sleeping during the day. While we can do this, it eventually takes a toll on health. Alternative health doctors say that this kind of unnatural living is one of the contributing factors in the causation of cancer and other diseases
3. Fast on a Regular, Systematic Basis
If you would ask any person to work 365 days per year without any rest, they would complain and say that they must have some rest or else they will break down. But we have never bothered to ask or to think about our digestive organs which we compel to work day after day without a rest. They cannot protest the way a person would to his boss, but they do give us signals that they cannot work non-stop. When we ignore those signals and still compel them to work, those organs break down. That is why periodic fasting is necessary.
4. Wash with cool water before going to bed
As mentioned above, proper sleep is essential for the maintenance of health. If you wash your important motor and sensory organs (hands, arms, eyes, legs, mouth, genitals) before sleep using cool water, this will relax you and prepare you for deep sleep.
5. Perform meditation on a regular basis
Your body is linked to your mind. Many of the diseases of this era are psychosomatic. Stress and anxiety take their toll on our physical health. Meditation is a mental exercise which, among other things, allows you to detach yourself from the worries of life. Learn a simple technique and do it regularly.
All of us at Advantage Insurance Services wish you a long and healthy life, and would like to thank you for your continued business!
Almost everyone has heard the hit single ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy’ by Bobby McFerrin. The song has a very catchy way of conveying its message of being happy to everyone. Living a happy, resilient and optimistic life is wonderful, and is also good for your health. Being happy actually protects you from the stresses of life. Stress is linked to top causes of death such as heart disease, cancer and stroke.
One of the better things ever said is – ‘The only thing in life that will always remain the same is change’, and in our life we have the power to make the necessary changes if we want to. Even if we find ourselves in an unbearable situation we can always find solace in the knowledge that it too would change.
To be happy is relatively easy, just decide to be a happy person. Abraham Lincoln observed that most people for most of the time can choose how happy or stressed, how relaxed or troubled, how bright or dull their outlook to be. The choice is simple really, choose to be happy.
There are several ways by which you can do this.
Being grateful is a great attitude. We have so much to be thankful for. Thank the taxi driver for bringing you home safely, thank the cook for a wonderful dinner and thank the guy who cleans your windows.
News is stressful. Get less of it. Some people just can’t start their day without their daily dose of news. Try and think about it, 99% of the news we hear or read is bad news. Starting the day with bad news does not seem to be a sensible thing to do.
A religious connection is also recommended. Being part of a religious group with its singing, sacraments, chanting, prayers and meditations foster inner peace.
Manage your time. Time is invaluable and too important to waste. Time management can be viewed as a list of rules that involves scheduling, setting goals, planning, creating lists of things to do and prioritizing.
Laugh and laugh heartily every day. Heard a good joke? Tell your friends or family about it. As they also say -‘Laughter is the best medicine’.
Working hard brings tremendous personal satisfaction. It gives a feeling of being competent in finishing our tasks. Accomplishments are necessary for all of us, they give us a sense of value. Work on things that you feel worthy of your time.
Run, jog, walk and do other things that your body was made for. Feel alive.
At the Advantage Insurance Services we are happy to have you as our client! Thank you so much for your continued business and please keep us in mind when a friend or family member is looking for an insurance quote.
Owning a home is one of the most important investments you can make. As your family grows, your needs will change as well as your risk. We think it is very important to review your insurance program every year to make sure it still meets your needs. Compared with investment decisions and estate planning issues, perhaps questions about the language in your homeowner’s policy may seem hardly worth considering. Yet the more successful you become, the more complicated your asset-protection needs are likely to be, and the more you have to lose.
1. Gaps in homeowner’s coverage. Every homeowner needs to review their coverage regularly to keep up with rising replacement costs. But insuring different kinds of homes in different locales poses extra challenges. If you buy insurance from more than one carrier, you may face contrasting rules, limitations, and policy renewal dates.
2. Under insuring art and collectibles. Standard homeowner’s policies limit coverage for the losses of antiques, furs, and other valuables. While you could schedule additional coverage, insuring the real value of a collection of contemporary art or vintage muscle cars, likely will require a specialized policy addressing several critical issues. 3. Make sure you keep up with the true replacement cost of your home. Often people let this go for a few years, but it can be devastating.
4. Forgetting to insure household employees. When someone works for you or your family as a nanny, landscaper, personal assistant, or in another role, you could be liable for medical expenses and lost wages if the worker is hurt on the job.
At Advantage Insurance Services we believe our greatest asset is the relationships we build with our clients and we are dedicated to being the right choice for all of your insurance and financial needs. We take pride in our ability to tailor a comprehensive package that maximizes your insurance protection while minimizing money out of your pocket.
In 2016, 17,200 people went to emergency rooms because of barbeque related accidents. Sixteen percent of home structure fires involving a grill were caused during ignition because something flammable was too close to the grill. Twenty percent of all reported grill fires were a result of leaks or breaks. Gas grills account for more home fires overall than do charcoal grills. Emergency rooms see the use of gasoline on a charcoal grill as the most common error associated with burn cases.
You might think you know all you need to know about barbeque safety and grilling, but here are some reminders. We want your grilling experience to be fun and safe for the entire family.
General Grilling Safety
Never barbeque inside, in a garage, on the roof, or on a second story deck.
Never leave your grill unattended.
If you are using a charcoal grill, let the lighter fluid soak into the coals a few minutes before lighting them so that any vapors have time to evaporate. When you do light the coals, stand back.
Do not use lighter fluid on hot coals.
Open the grill lid before you light it
Do not wear loose fitting clothing.
Keep an extinguisher outside or close by.
Make sure you use the grill 10 feet away from your house.
Use the grill close to a water source.
Do not let raw meat sit out too long without being chilled or cooked.
Always wash your hands before and after handling food.
Do not over-indulge in alcohol while barbecuing.
Always wash your hands before and after handling food.